Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I sold a small business and carried a significant portion of

I sold a small business and carried a significant portion of the purchase price as a loan. The buyers are at least 5 months behind in their payments. Our purchase contract specified that if the buyers became delinquent in their payments, I had the right to foreclose (repossess) the business and all of it's assets. If I choose to foreclose, am I obligated to return any of the buyer's down payment or on-going monthly payments?
No, if the buyer is in breach of the contract and is delinquent, in addition to them losing the business to your foreclosure, they forfeit any payments they made to you. Just like foreclosing on a house, when you lose your house to the bank you do not get anything you paid the bank on the mortgage back.

You need to send them a letter notice you intend to foreclose pursuant to the contract and then you would file the foreclosure action and take the assets and the business back.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you please point me to the Arizona statutes/laws that pertain specifically to foreclosing/repossessing a small business? I am happy to do research.
It is a breach of contract claim, the AZ foreclosure statutes are AZ 33-721 et seq. There are no specific statutes just about a small business.