Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

One of my prior web designers used an image that Getty Images

One of my prior web designers used an image that Getty Images has notified me is unauthorized, i.e. not licensed by my company for use.

I actually had the web hosting company stop hosting this site and thought it would be taken down months ago as I am retiring and the site is no longer useful for marketing purposes.

However, when I checked with the web hosting company they advised that since I had been a long term customer they had left the site up on the web.

In any case, based on all I have heard it appears that I will have to get the unauthorized image off the site if the site continues to stay up and also pay Getty their charge of about $1300. Do have any case here for at least negotiating the amount of the payment or possibly getting a reduction in amount if I license the image? I understand this is a subjective question but a good sounding board will be appreciated.

Thank you.

I am happy to help you. If you need clarification with this answer, hit reply and ask a follow up question prior to providing a rating. Otherwise, after reviewing the answer, please provide a positive rating without additional cost to you so I receive credit for the services I am providing you.

What it appears that you received is a cease and desist letter to take down the copyright material or to pay a license fee. Generally, if you take down the unauthorized image, then that would be the end of it. To litigate over $1,300 is most likely not worth it for a large organization. However, sometimes organization do litigate, especially if they farm out the litigation to a firm that works on a contingency basis. Even in that case, and you received a complaint, that firm would negotiate the settlement because it would rather have the money upfront then to litigate.

Feel free to ask follow up questions before providing a rating. This information provided to you is informative and helpful. If you need clarification, feel free to hit reply so we can work on any clarification prior to providing a rating. Otherwise, please provide a positive rating now without an additional cost to you so I receive credit for the services I am providing to you. I am doing my best to help you. Thank you, Damien

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Damien Bosco