Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Attorney
Experience:  Thirteen years of business law experience, from business formation to litigation

What is the best form or format to use in giving someone a

Customer Question

What is the best form or format to use in giving someone a "limited" power of attorney in an international business that will require my signature on certain documents. Due to distance they have asking me to come up with a local representative. The fact is I have not expected that to come up therefore not taken the time to research and carefully select the right person to assume this role. At this time the only person I have is my brother's childhood friend whom I know nothing about. Please advice, and recommed!!
Mercy Quachie
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I send the clarification they needed, amd I am waiting for my response

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Anxiously waiting for s response from you.

Mercy Quachie
Expert:  Brent Blanchard replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

To the usual "forms" of various readability that you can find on this here Innerweb, the following are added and deleted from the standard language. Seeing such huge range of useful- to near-useless-ness from the "free" sites, I really have to recommend that you start with something like or

1. Add "LIMITED" to the title.

2. Add "limited" or "Limited" (depending on style, some capitalize the document title everywhere) before every statement of power of attorney or grant of authority.

3. Add a sentence describing the narrow scope of the PoA.
"This Limited Power of Attorney is granted ONLY for the purposes of transacting business with _____ company] located in _______[city], [country] related to my [whatever the type of business deal is contemplated], and extends to no other subjects."

4. IF access to any money is also involved, like writing a check, then as a non-legal matter the funds should be put into a separate dedicated bank account with no other monies. Preferably the money would be deposited with a Cashier's Check, to avoid any fraudsters from tracing the money back to your specific bank account (they usually get no joy if all they know is the issuing bank of the write a short letter to your bank reminding them of you financial privacy rights and alerting them that you will NEVER be communicating with them by phone regarding anything).

It is important to be thorough, to make sure that nothing is accidentally left in there which could be mis-interpreted as a broad grant of a general power of attorney.

And don't make it "durable" unless you REALLY want your agent to take action even if you are in a coma. That's what "durable" is all about. It belongs in estate planning, not in international trade.

Thank you.