Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I have registered a Florida corporation, we have 1 million

I have registered a Florida corporation, we have 1 million shares listed, no par value.
My partner and I now want to share those shares with 2 other partners for their intellectual property input.

We also have a individual who wants to put in financing in return for 30% of the companies ownership.

How should we issue the shares to him to minimize the corporations tax liabilities ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
As the board of the corporation, you and your partner have to get together to vote to determine how many shares you want to give to the other 2 parties as compensation for their IP. You can put a value on the IP services and you are paying in form of shares without assigning par value to the shares, so the tax burden on the corporation would not happen, since you are not being taxed on payment to someone for services. You are essentially making them shareholders in the corporation in exchange for their services so you have to decide the percentage shareholders you want them to be.

If your accountant told you to contact a business attorney, then they are not an accountant who handles corporate taxes and you may want to get an accountant who specializes in corporations.

The investor, this would be income into the corporation which would be taxable, but then again, you have expenses which would be written off against that income to the corporation and why you need an experienced corporate CPA. This would be a sale of stock to the investor and a tax liability offset by any costs to you of the sale and other business expenses.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.