Franklin
Franklin, Attorney
Experience:  Clients consistently recommend my excellent service.
69662557

My business has dealings with a company in Canada. This company

My business has dealings with a company in Canada. This company has not fulfilled its obligations to an agreement. Is it reasonable that I can sue them with the same reasonable expectation that I would have here in the US?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, William,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX U.S. immigration and business attorney, and I'll be happy to assist you today.

The simple answer to your question is "Yes, you can." You can sue Canadian companies with the same reasonable expectation that you would have here in the U.S. Canadian companies are subject to very similar laws and liabilities as U.S. companies. In addition, Canada is a modern country, not unlike the U.S., and Canadian companies will be held responsible for their actions both here and abroad.

In your situation, first take a look at the contract or agreement that you signed with the Canadian company. Briefly scan it, and see if there is a "choice of venue" or "choice of jurisdiction" clause. This provision provides where the Canadian company may be sued should any problems arise.

If there is no such provision, then (and here's a part that may please you), you can sue the Canadian company in your hometown, and they will be forced to travel to the U.S. to defend against the lawsuit. Most likely, the Canadian company will simply do a cost-benefit analysis, come to the conclusion that prolonged litigation is not in their economic best interest, and either fulfill its obligations, or write you a settlement check.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX answer addresses your concerns. Please take a moment to accept my service. We experts depend on positive ratings to continue helping out, so thank you in advance for your support. (And bonuses are always appreciated!)
Franklin, Attorney
Experience: Clients consistently recommend my excellent service.
Expert:  Franklin replied 2 years ago.
I sincerely enjoyed answering your questions on JustAnswer.com. If you have any more questions, or would like to follow-up, feel free to stop by and chat. To request me in the future, simply write "Hi, Franklin" before your question.

Have a great day!