WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.
62735101

Hello, I am working on a web-based content startup. I have

I am working on a web-based content startup. I have been working on the website myself but am thinking about hiring a contractor to finish the site so that I could focus on the content itself. What do I need to do to protect myself from a contractor. Is it possible for a contractor to finish the website and claim that the site itself AND the IP behind it is his?
Hello, and thank you for entrusting us with your important legal question.

What I recommend is that you have your consultant sign a confidentiality and inventions assignment agreement. That means that the consultant agrees to keep the information about your site and business confidential. It also provides that any IP created, including the work on the site, belongs to your business because the consultant agrees to assign all rights to it over to you.

Here is a form of the agreement that you can use to accomplish all of this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58796728/FORM%20Confidential%20Information%20and%20Inventions%20Assignment%20-%20Consultant%20(Template%20Doc.).doc

I wish you all the best. Good luck to you.
Daniel:

Please review the answer I have provided and give it a rating of 3, 4 or 5. If you are not satisfied with the answer or need anything else, please let me know.

Thanks.

WiseOwl58
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I rated the previous answer. I have it an excellent service...dont know why it might not be showing up in your account. Please let me know if there is more i should do
Hi, Daniel:

OK. Thank you very much for that rating.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Daniel:

Thanks.

WiseOwl58