MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

the company that I work for gave out a "market increase" or

the company that I work for gave out a "market increase" or a raise as it is usually known by to all employees at the beginning of 2011. Those without a bachelor's degree received a lesser amount then those with a bachelor's degree. THe company told it's employees that once they received their degree, they would get the raise. This raise had nothing to do with performance, tenure, or job title. It only had to do with the degree. Since then, some employees have received their degree, and I am only two months from mine. The company says that we will not get that increase in pay and we will stay at the lower pay level. I've dedicated both time and money to get this degree under the impression that I would get the raise. Can they do that?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 2 years ago.
Did you have a signed contract with them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a contract? It's the university of phoenix. I don't think I filled one out. I completed a lot of paperwork when I was hired in 09.

Expert:  MDLaw replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a contract. Did you have a contract with them stating that they would give you an increase in salary if you got your degree?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately not, it was verbal. Do verbal contracts count?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 2 years ago.
Verbal contracts count to a certain extent but it has to be an actual contract and not just a mere promise. In order for something to be a contract, there must be an offer, acceptance, and consideration. If you can prove that a contract was formed and that all three existed, then you could sue for breach of contract.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you and if you still need clarification, please read on below.

*********************
Kindly take into account that I do not make the laws and so please do not shoot the messenger if you are unhappy with the law not being on your side since I do not have the power to make the laws or change them. What I can do though is help you to understand the laws.

Please let me know if this has answered your question. If you need clarification, please do not select a rating yet. Instead, click the Reply or Continue Conversation button. If, however, I have fully answered your question, please remember to rate me a 3 or higher so that I may be compensated for the time it takes to respond to your questions. That is the only way that we experts get paid since we do not get paid by the site. Keep in mind that you are rating my service and not the website and that the site prohibits us from giving legal advice or opinions on your specific circumstances. We can only provide general legal information.

MDLaw, Attorney
Experience: Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.