Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

We are independent contractors in the logging industry. We

Customer Question

We are independent contractors in the logging industry. We have our own truck. We haul from the woods to the mills. We are trying to figure out if what the mills are doing are legal. We are not allowed by the mill or logger to "bid" a job. The logger who cuts the trees have a contract with the mill for the logging part, but they do not have a contract for the trucks. The mills forester determines the rate after we have hauled the loads to the mill. They say it is based in a $ per hour but not contract or breakdown is given before our paychecks are issued out from the logger. We receive our checks 2 weeks after we have hauled the loads. At that time we are told what the rate is for the past 2 weeks & is changed each pay half by the forester. The mill has their own trucks and encourage them to drive as fast as they can & not worry about any damage they do to the trucks because "they can afford it". The mill also gives the foresters big bonuses for cutting the rates at the end of the year because they saved the mill so much money. All the independent trucks have tried to form a co-op to get this straitened out but when the mills & loggers got word of it & found out who was involved they wouldn't hire them for jobs anymore. Is there anything we can do besides get out of our business or filing bankruptcy? Thanks for your help.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I'm still waiting for an answer. Thanks
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No problem, thanks for checking.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on a professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I would still like an answer. Thanks.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately at your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.