Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

In the state of Georgia, In which court and how would i submit

In the state of Georgia, In which court and how would i submit application to the court to decree a partnership dissolution (pursuant to 14-8-32 (a) (4)?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
In claims against a partner or partnership in which plaintiff is a member, the Superior Court in GA has subject matter jurisdiction over those cases. See: Oliver v. Godley, 38 App. 66, 142 SE 566 (1928)].

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Paul, Thank you for your prompt response. Does this mean that I would have to file a claim or suit against my business partner as opposed to simply petitioning the Georgia Superior Court to dissolve the partnership?

This was an informal, unregistered partnership (two 50/50 partners) with <$30K in annual sales and the amount of money that my partner diverted from the partnership (that I'm aware of) was less then $4K, however since I have been locked out of all business and financial records and all incoming funds have been diverted from our business accounts and into the partner's personal accounts, I have no way of knowing the actual dollar amount. I can't afford to hire legal counsel, while my business partner can easily afford to. So, I don't want a prolonged legal battle, I just want the partnership dissolved so that I no longer am liable for the partnership or any taxes due on the partnership income that I don't have access to.

Thanks!

"petitioning the court" to dissolve is the same thing as filing suit. They are one of the same. If this is an unregistered partnership, you need should not have to sue for anything, you would give him a letter withdrawing from the partnership. If you want anything from the partnership, then you would have to sue your partner for your share. If he refuses to remove your name from any documents regarding the partnership, then yes, you have to file suit against him in court, which is the same thing as filing a petition to dissolve, and you can file it pro se.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your quick and thorough responses. I do have one last question. Would I file a suit in Superior Court in the county where I live (which was also the official address of the partnership with regards XXXXX XXXXX and federal tax identification numbers) or would I have to file in the Superior Court of the county where my former business partner resides.

Thanks again for your excellent service.

You would have to file in the court where the Defendant resides to obtain personal jurisdiction over him in the court. The court in his county would have that jurisdiction over him.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney