Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I have a very small video production company. Im currently

I have a very small video production company. I'm currently working on a documentary and have had to bring a couple of partners on board for the project. I want to form an LLC and someone suggested that I form a Series LLC so I can keep this project separate from my production company. Is this the best plan of action? How do I form an LLC or Series LLC? How much more expensive is a Series LLC than an LLC?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
TN is one of the few states that has the series LLC and the series LLC is good to have multiple companies separate under one umbrella company. This is like having a parent company owning multiple other companies or LLC's. In a series LLC , creditors could enforce liabilities of one series only against the assets of that series or individual LLC. The assets of the master LLC and any other individual LLC under the series would remain outside the reach of creditors. The costs to organize and maintain a series LLC are often less than comparable costs for multiple entities, and a series LLC might require fewer organizational documents than multiple entities.

The cost of a series LLC is cheaper because it is treated as one entity for the franchise taxes in TN, no matter how many series they have under the one LLC. A Tennessee limited liability company is formed by filing a document called The Articles of Organization with the Tennessee Secretary of State. The fee for filing the Articles of Organization is $50 per member (minimum fee = $300, maximum fee = $3,000). You pay one fee, no matter how many series you register under it. In your LLC operating agreement you state that one or more series may be established within the LLC. You then open separate accounts and a separate set of books for each series under the LLC and (i) the master LLC must designate the series in its operating agreement, (ii) the master LLC’s operating agreement must provide for such limitation of liability, (iii) the series must maintain separate and distinct records for the series that are separate from the records of the master LLC or another series, (iv) the series must hold its assets separate from the assets of the master LLC or another series, and (v) the master LLC must provide notice of the limitation of liability of the series in its Articles of Organization.
You can get the forms from the TN secretary of state for filing.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mention a division of assets under each of the LLC's in the series. As a small video production company, I only have a small amount of equipment. Would this division of assets mean that I have to divide my actual gear and spread it throughout the individual LLC's, or could it simply define project specific intellectual property? Also, can I add new LLC's under the main as need arises or am I limited to the ones I establish at the time I originally file?

You also mentioned that the cost would be lower for a Series LLC than for an LLC. That goes against what I'd been led to believe. Were you referring to the difference compared to establishing multiple LLC's?

So far your answers have been very much in line with my internet research. Thank you for your assistance.
No, you can share the equipment with the main LLC owning the equipment and "renting it" to each of the series as needed. It is just that each series needs its own bank account, you would assign IP to each specific series. You can add a series as needed by amending the articles of organization and name it whatever you like. Yes I was referring to the lower cost over time than setting up multiple separate LLC's
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.