Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

hello i have a question about a small claims suit my son is

hello i have a question about a small claims suit my son is in, it was over a small
cap one credit card, which started out as 500. now with fees and collections is aroun 1700.
he was taken to court a year ago, and by default they one because he knew he owed it and he didn't fight it. they then couldn't garnish wages nor did they try because he was
19 or 20 and he wasn't making enough money anyway as a waiter and was in college.
we tried to get them to set up arrangements but wanted it ALL in one lump sum so it
was put off as they wouldn't work with us and we told them we were willing to pay it.
now he gets another summons on the Same suit by same company to show up to answer to assets , etc. a year later. in september. my question is if we can get this together and be done with it and pay it will he have to go to court still? and if they won't take
small payments we would just have to save for two months and get one huge money order and pay it when we have it correct?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If they will not take any payments, then you need to show up in court at the asset hearing and he needs to explain to the court that he has tried to pay the debt by payments and they have refused them and ask the court to order the plaintiff to either negotiate a payment plan or set up payments so that he can pay it off in 2-3 months and courts will usually do so because they are not happy when a defendant is trying to pay a judgment and the plaintiff is being unreasonable.

If you can get payment together before the court date, then you need to make payment and you need to inform the attorney for the other party to file a motion to withdraw the debtor's examination and file a satisfaction of judgment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.