Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

The TRO terms that were issued to our company included being

The TRO terms that were issued to our company included being enjoined from "Operation of any kind" including the display of images or words on our website. Additionally we had to post a specific phrase on our website.

This seems to me to be an obvious violation of our First Amendment right to free speech.
Question1: Is it a violation of the Free Speech right?
Question2: If it is a violation, how can I find case law to cite? I often use Google scholar but it eleudes me as to how to perform a successful search.
Thanks
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
It depends on why they are enjoining your speech. If there is an alleged violation, the court can enjoin your speech and issue orders as to what you have to post for now and that is permissible based on a compelling governmental interest. In a TRO, that is the whole purpose of the TRO, to stop someone from doing something, so they are stopping you from engaging in the alleged infringing behavior, which means this is a legal infringement on your speech.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can they restrict all speech on the website or just the speech that is the subject of the trade secrets case? For instance, if I want to sell items not related to the trade secret?
The subject of the trade secret is all they can restrain. If they are seeking to restrain anything else, then that would be overly repressive and you would argue an unfair and unnecessary restraint of trade.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to be clear. Our website originally only had one product (that is the subject of the trade secret suit) and we were instructed to remove the allegedly offending information and post a specific phrase.

Can we ask the court to allow us to use the re-post website on the internet as long as we do not refer to that product anymore? and remove the specific phrase as it would no longer make sense.

Thanks

Then this is why they can shut it all down, you asked if you could carry on business not involved in the trade secret and you can. However, if the site is all about the subject of the trade secret they can shut the whole site down. If you want to use the site for something that has nothing to do with the subject of the trade infringement, then you would have to ask to the court to do so and they can allow that.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.