Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

My wife and I broke a one year lease for a rental apartment

My wife and I broke a one year lease for a rental apartment in April 2011 after living there four months. A collection agency wants $8360, the balance owed on the lease. I own a business as a sole proprietor with an asset worth $25,000. I am taking this asset back to the same area we lived in and the management of the apartments might get wind of the fact that I'm back in the area.
Would an LLC protect my business asset, should they decide to attach it against the money owed?

bizlaw :

Transferring it to the LLC will make it harder for them to levy on the asset but it will not fully protect it because the transfer could be considered a fraudulent conveyance which would allow the creditor to pursue the asset. However that will require a lawsuit to do.

If you need further help please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more".This is considered a negative rating against me.

Just reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" or "REPLY" button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it by giving a three stars/faces or higher . That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication