Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I recently freelanced for a company for one week at an agreed

I recently freelanced for a company for one week at an agreed upon hourly rate of $75.00. The owner freaked when he had to write a check for over $2,800. He said that he had made a mistake and if I cash the check, don't worry about coming back. He also asked if I can restructure the hourly rate. My counter was to work for free for a couple of days (to help offset the $75 hourly rate) and then freelance moving forward at $50 an hour. He thanked me for "moving in the right direction" and would prefer me giving back the $2,800 check, he will re-issue another. My concern is that if I return the check, he will re-issue another for a lower amount and then not contract me as a freelancer in the future. If this happens, I would end up letting him re-negotiate the week I worked at the agreed (via email) upon $75 hourly rate. My question is should I go ahead and cash the $2,800 check knowing that he won't contract me again, knowing that he may not contract me again if I return the check and receive another for a smaller amount as well?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
If you already distrust this guy regarding what is going on, then you need to trust your gut instinct because exactly what you suspect is going to happen is likely to happen. You can tell him that you will not return the check without a written contract in hand from him regarding the new deal (Not an email, but a contract signed by him) since you cannot trust him to honor the deals he makes based on him backing out of the first deal. If you return the check to him then he either writes you a much lower check than agreed and never calls you back or even worse writes no other check and keeps stringing you along and you have to end up suing him in court.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”