BartEsq
BartEsq, Researcher
Experience:  Juris Doctor
64232130

Florida Law - Rules Defendant is responding to a summons/complaint

Florida Law - Rules

Defendant is responding to a summons/complaint pro se and has prepared an Answer and Aff. Def.

I understand as correct that Defendant does not need to notarize the Answer and get a sworn statement saying "above is true & correct" etc. to attach to the filing.

I understand Defendant needs to certifty a copy of said Answer has been provided to Plaintiff and file said Answer with Court within 20 days of service.

Does Defendant need to sign the Answer? Or is it sufficient underneath the Certificate of Service header to simply type the name and address of Defendant?

Also, is a phone number for Defendant required to be listed with address for Defendant?

Thank you.

BartEsq :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX Im researching your answer now.

BartEsq :

The certificate of service should have the party's contact information. At minimum, a mailing address. Furthermore, the certificate of service should be signed and notarized. The catch is, once you get it, you have notice. If you want to challenge service of process, you have to file a motion with the court. The effect of service of process being deamed invalid is easily corrected at this point.

BartEsq :

If I can provide you with any additional service, please don't hesitate to ask. You can request me directly or just put "To Bart" at the beginning of your question. A rating of “OK SERVICE” and above will allow me to get credit for my work. Bonus is not mandatory but much appreciated.

Customer:

OK. thank you. Defendant is responding to a summons/complaint pro se and has prepared an Answer and Aff. Def. Does Defendant need to now notarize the Answer and get a sworn statement saying "above is true & correct" etc. before filing Or is Defendant's signature sufficient along with stating that copy of said Answer has been provided to Plaintiff?

Customer:

Does Defendant need to sign the Answer or is it legally sufficient to type in the Defendants name and address?

BartEsq :

It should be signed prior to filiing with the court.

Customer:

Does signature need to be notarized?

BartEsq :

On the certificate of service, it should be.

Customer:

OK thank you.