How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney Arcadier Your Own Question
Attorney Arcadier
Attorney Arcadier, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1106
Experience:  Contract questions and Incorporation questions answered.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Attorney Arcadier is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,Im a (very) small business owner.

This answer was rated:

Hello, I'm a (very) small business owner. My friends and I have a general partnership and we sell some online software. We just got a couple of checks from one of our business deals, and they're addressed to our company. The problem is, we have no place to deposit these checks. I looked into getting a bank account setup at Bank of America and there's one strange requirement that has me a bit confused. It says we need a: "Business Name Filing Document (Such as a Fictitious Name Certificate or Certificate of Trade Name)". After Googling around, it appears that the only way to get one of these is by going to City Hall (, which is reasonable. But, what does this line mean?? "You must publish with one S.F. legal court approved newspaper (see listing of newspapers) within 30 days from the date of filing, once a week for 4 consecutive weeks." Note, we already have an EIN and have filed taxes for the past 2 years. Please help, thanks in advance!

To open a bank account, all you need to do is incorporate with the state of California (or any State for that matter). You take your articles of incorporation and open up your bank account.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We're a partnership, as I said in my question. I assume incorporating is no trivial task (and probably costs a decent bit of $). Any other advice then?
Much better to be a corporation than a partnership, including for taxing purposes. A California corporation costs about 100 in filling fees, and another 300 for someone to do it for you.
Attorney Arcadier and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you