Attorney Arcadier
Attorney Arcadier, Attorney
Experience:  Contract questions and Incorporation questions answered.

Hello,Im a (very) small business owner.

Hello, I'm a (very) small business owner. My friends and I have a general partnership and we sell some online software. We just got a couple of checks from one of our business deals, and they're addressed to our company. The problem is, we have no place to deposit these checks. I looked into getting a bank account setup at Bank of America and there's one strange requirement that has me a bit confused. It says we need a: "Business Name Filing Document (Such as a Fictitious Name Certificate or Certificate of Trade Name)". After Googling around, it appears that the only way to get one of these is by going to City Hall (, which is reasonable. But, what does this line mean?? "You must publish with one S.F. legal court approved newspaper (see listing of newspapers) within 30 days from the date of filing, once a week for 4 consecutive weeks." Note, we already have an EIN and have filed taxes for the past 2 years. Please help, thanks in advance!

To open a bank account, all you need to do is incorporate with the state of California (or any State for that matter). You take your articles of incorporation and open up your bank account.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We're a partnership, as I said in my question. I assume incorporating is no trivial task (and probably costs a decent bit of $). Any other advice then?
Much better to be a corporation than a partnership, including for taxing purposes. A California corporation costs about 100 in filling fees, and another 300 for someone to do it for you.