WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.
62735101

I would like to use a quote from a Harvard Medical School Study

I would like to use a quote from a Harvard Medical School Study on the packaging of a consumer product. Do I need permission to do so or is this considered part of the 'public domain'?
THe following is the quote from the study:

Resveratrol “could arguably be the biggest medical discovery since antibiotics”
-Harvard Medical School Study
It is in the public domain, but you are actually using it as an implied endorsement by Harvard. Therefore your best bet is to notify the Trustees and Fellows of Harvard University, as they call themselves, as to what you are doing and you should be fine.

What a wonderful tribute to your product. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do i need to simply notify or am I asking for permission before I can use this quote?

I suggest that you take the position that you believe the information and study is published in the public domain and that you are informing them of your use. If you "ask for permission," they are likely to try to charge you a fee and your request will be tied up with the lawyers for quite some time.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Please review the answer I sent you and rate it 3, 4 or 5, so that we can close out the question and I can get credit for the answer to you.

Let me know if anything else comes up. It has been a pleasure working with you.

All the best,

WiseOwl58
Please review the answer that I have given you and rate it a 3, 4 or 5 so that we can close out this question and I can get credit for the answer I have given you.

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please feel free to call on me again and let me know if anything else comes up.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the best to you.

WiseOwl58

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the best to you.

WiseOwl58

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------