FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

When is it legal to drop a wholesale customer? I have been

When is it legal to drop a wholesale customer? I have been a customer of a manufacturer of specialized womens accessories for cancer for 10 years. Last week the manufacturer dropped me as a customer with no explanation. I have always paid up front with a credit card so payment is not an issue/
Category: Business Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.
*Nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

Welcome,

It is my goal to deliver information in five-star manner.

I am a licensed attorney but I am not your attorney. The law does not allow me to provide legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship on this public forum.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Absent an agreement to the contrary, it is legal for a manufacturer to stop selling to a wholesale customer at any time. There is no statutory requirement that notice be given. Additionally there is no statutory requirement that a reason for discontinuing the sales be provided.

So sorry

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question

Thank you in advance for remembering to rate my service. If you experience difficulty using the rating buttons, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if a positive rating registers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this apply to every state? I have read articles that do not support your opinion.
Yes it does apply in every State under the Uniform Commercial Code.
If you can point me to one of the articles that you read, I can point to the differences as I understand them between the article and your situation

I see that you rated my service as "bad". This reflects very poorly on me. If you were rating the site or the effect of the law, please reconsider the rating as the rating reflects upon me and not the site or the law. If there is some portion of my answer that is unclear to you, please let me know and I will do my best to rectify it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Perhaps I didn't state enough details. The daughter recently took over the business and 2 months ago in a telephone conversation, the manufacturer told me my prices on Amazon were too low. An email followed stating that I must not sell below their MAP and a contract would follow. I complied with their request to raise my prices even though Amazon told me that I didn't have to.

I started selling their product on Amazon 5 years ago and recently they listed there own products, too. As far as I am able to determine, I am their only competition on the Internet with my web site and Amazon sales.

There has never been any problem until April when one of my orders wasn't shipped. It caused a lot of problems for me. I have always paid by credit card and have never returned anything including their shipping mistakes.

This involves interstate sales. The vendor is in CA where I believe MAP is illegal.

The new information that you have posted bears little resemblance to your initial question. Please remember that I do not know your facts unless you tell me

It is still true that absent an agreement to the contrary, it is legal for a manufacturer to stop selling to a wholesale customer at any time and without a reason for discontinuing the sales. However it is not legal to discontinue sales based upon an illegal reason.

If you are able to prove that the reason for the discontinuation of sales is that your price was below the manufacturer MAP, you may have an action against the manufacturer.

The law is in a state of flux regarding the enforceability of MAPs. Here are 2 links that you may find helpful in understanding the current state of the law:

ht tp://www.pepperlaw.com/publications_article.aspx?ArticleKey=2099

http://www.tuckerellis.com/files/minimum_resale_price_maintenance_after_leegin_copy1.pdf

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/searlecenter/conference/international/session_6_pricing_distribution_internet.pdf

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question or whether you would like further information
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does it matter that the promised MAP contract was never sent even though I said I would sign it if it seemed reasonable? Also, there isn't even a price list that states what the MAP prices are.

No complaints from the manufacturer were issued after I raised my prices. However, my orders were held and my inquiries about shipping were unanswered.

Remembered that the manufacturer is not required to continue to sell to you. He just cannot stop selling based upon illegal reason. If you are able to prove that the reason for not selling to you is based upon the MAP, you may have an action against the manufacturer.

I understand.

The purpose of the site is to give you information so that you can help yourself. Your circumstances are complex– I do suggest that you retain local counsel. Here is a link to a free site that may assist you in locating competent legal counsel: www.Martindale.com