Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate

Customer Question

When I terminated the website developer and I did not proceed on launching the website they have created. Are they still allowed to use my company name to promote their services and to list me as their client without my permission? I refuse to associate my brand name with their company because of their zero quality service.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.

If they have a regular postal mailing address, send them a hard copy cease and desist letter by registered mail. If the matter is serious enough to warrant a court action, you could sue for an injunction in a court that has jurisdiction over the company. I would think that they would be afraid of a negative reference from your company and remove your name voluntarily.

I have answered your question. Please click on a 3,4,or 5 rating so that I will be compensated. If you are not satisfied with this answer, please send me a Reply with what you feel is wrong with the answer and what additional information you are seeking.
Clicking on number 1 or 2 is not necessary in order for me to explain my Answer. BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX rating for the original question before you branch off into other new questions.
Also, this answer does not create an attorney client relationship and you are urged to consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this answer according to your state's laws and local customs and practice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Irwin,

Thank you for your feedback.

However, is this applicable to United Arab Emirates law? Can you please explain futher on how I can take this further because whenever googling my company/brand name - their company is appearing on search results too as the developer of the site when I already fired them and hired a different developer. I even changed the domain name but they seem to want to associate themselves with the brand considering I have lost a lot of money for a fault of hiring them in the beginning.

Isn't it companies should ask permission from clients before service provider can use the client company or brand name on their literature or list it on their client list on website?

Thanks & regards,

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.
I believe that you are correct about needing permission. I am in the U.S., and provided you only general principles and ideas. I will Opt out and perhaps someone else has more specific knowledge of UAE law. Good luck. Please do not Reply to this because that will send the question back to me.