Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

in Oklahoma when land is seized for non payment of taxes does

in Oklahoma when land is seized for non payment of taxes does it affect the mineral rights?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

The answer depends on whether the person who is delinquent on the taxes own both the surface and mineral rights at the time of the seizure or tax lien. If so, then both are at risk.

OK permits a severed estate. So, if the mineral rights are owned by someone other than the tax payer who owns only the surface rights, then those would not be affected by the tax foreclosure.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Thank you.