Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), what is the time limitation

Under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), what is the time limitation for which concealed damages can be found and reported back to the supplier? Is it 60 days from the time of receipt?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Under the UCC the concept of merchantability or hidden defects is based on a "reasonable time" for inspection and while a contract may specify a time (60 days) for example, the UCC does not. Under UCC 1-204(2), it states that "What is a reasonable time for taking any action depends on the nature, purpose and circumstances of such action." Furthermore, UCC 1-204(3) states, " An action is taken "seasonably" when it is taken at or within the time agreed or if no time is agreed at or within a reasonable time." Thus, you need to refer to your contract regarding the inspection period for defects and even if your contract sets the time limit, if you can prove that time limit is unreasonable, the court can still allow for return of the merchandise based on a hidden defect that existed at time of delivery.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”