Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
17897874

Could use some advice: Is it uncommon for Literary Agents

Could use some advice:

Is it uncommon for Literary Agents to sign an author who has a previous co-authored work, withOUT a release from the secondary author (myself)?

I have received a secondary co-author credit for having written the majority (95%) of an 'auto'biographical, self-published book as a work-for-hire (no rights retained). The subject is the primary author. He would now like to sign with an interested literary agent, to seek a mainline publisher, and states that the literary agent will not accept him or a new project, unless I sign an agreement to waive my co-author's credit so the author himself can stand alone with representation.

I am wondering if this is a common demand by literary agents? And why I would even need to sign off if this is a new work (ghostwritten by a new person), though supported by our previous book. I have no agreement for royalties or profit on the first work, only an entitlement to secondary co-author credit.

Is this a typical agent request? What would you advise me?

Thanks.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I am still waiting for an answer-
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
The agent is seeking to cut off any claims you would possibly assert under copyright claims for any derivative use or work. It is not an unusual request.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not surprised. But is this ethical? Does the author/writer have any recourse?
It is ethical The only recourse is to negotiate the terms with the agent or refuse to sign.
Loren, Attorney
Experience: 30 years experience representing clients .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see. what if they are unwilling to negotiate? What happens if I refuse to sign because they will not negotiate?
If you refuse to sign then the agent can not go forward.
Loren, Attorney