Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA

how old do you have to be in order to be in a contract

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

In PA, the age of majority is 18 years old. So someone younger than that can enter into a contract, but if they breached it, it would be unenforceable by the other party. Additionally, they can void the contract up until shortly after they reach 18.
An exception would be if someone continued the contract once they became 18. Unless they void the contract within a reasonable time after reaching 18, they would be considered to have "reaffirmed" the contract and it would be enforceable.
Another exception is if the contract is for necessities. Contracts for certain goods and services that are necessary to the health and safety of minors cannot be voided. Such goods and services include food, clothing, and lodging or shelter.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.