Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I signed an agreement that had a statement that the contract

I signed an agreement that had a statement that the contract had to be signed within 5 days of the agreement date or the Agreement was invalid. The date I signed was a few weeks after this date. The party that wrote the agreement accepted the signed agreement. Is this a valid agreement with enforceable terms?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon. Once the 5 days elapsed, your signing of the contract did not constitute a binding agreement because the other party's original offer was deemed withdrawn upon the lapsing of the date. So, your signing of the contract constituted a new offer to the other party, and when accepted by the other party, created a binding contract which is not binding and enforceable.

I hope this has given you
information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more general
than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide information
and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please
remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my
answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.
If you need additional clarification on this question, please do not
hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you
further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be aware that
the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general
information. All states have intricacies in their laws and
any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just so I understand, the terms of the agreement I signed are invalid and unenforceable...yes?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

The agreement you signed constituted a new offer and when accepted by the other party created a binding and enforceable agreement. But, the other party's acceptance had to have manifested in some way that showed that it was truly accepted.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still confused. So the terms of the agreement I signed are valid and enforceable because the other party accepted it even though I signed after the required date ?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes...because when you signed the agreement, even their original offer would have lapsed, your signing created a new offer which when accepted by them created a binding contract.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In your first response you said it was "not binding and enforceable". I am coletely confused now. Please explain.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I'm so sorry! The "not" in the original was a typo! It is binding and enforceable as a new contract.
Richard, Attorney
Experience: 32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.