How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10563
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im not sure this is the right category, but Ill start here.

This answer was rated:

I'm not sure this is the right category, but I'll start here. I'm in Virginia andwith State Farm insurance and some time ago, my water heater went bad and flooded my kitchen which has pergo type flooring and the carpeting in three doorways that are carpeted. It also damaged the bottom edges of my cabinetry and I've lost a lot of insulation under the house. Since the two hurricanes that hit here, I've been told that they have drastically changed their policies.

They won't pay to replace the carpeting I know because we didn't have a professional come clean it since we couldn't afford the $1000 deductible at the time. My question is this...

If I get a quote from the company for the amount to repair what they cover, can I use the money how I choose? For example to do the work myself and make repairs they wouldn't cover?

bizlaw :

Have you reviewed the terms of your policy to see what it says about the repairs being done by the insured rather than a professional contractor?


No, actually I haven't, I guess that's where I need to start!

bizlaw :

Yes that is where you need to start. Most policies presuppose that a professional contractor will make the repairs. If there is nothing in your policy that prevents you from doing the work, you can attempt to negotiate an agreement with the insurance company. I would suggest that you offer an independent inspector to inspect the work and verify that it was properly done.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Richard - Bizlaw and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you