Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

Im not sure this is the right category, but Ill start here.

I'm not sure this is the right category, but I'll start here. I'm in Virginia andwith State Farm insurance and some time ago, my water heater went bad and flooded my kitchen which has pergo type flooring and the carpeting in three doorways that are carpeted. It also damaged the bottom edges of my cabinetry and I've lost a lot of insulation under the house. Since the two hurricanes that hit here, I've been told that they have drastically changed their policies.

They won't pay to replace the carpeting I know because we didn't have a professional come clean it since we couldn't afford the $1000 deductible at the time. My question is this...

If I get a quote from the company for the amount to repair what they cover, can I use the money how I choose? For example to do the work myself and make repairs they wouldn't cover?

bizlaw :

Have you reviewed the terms of your policy to see what it says about the repairs being done by the insured rather than a professional contractor?

Customer:

No, actually I haven't, I guess that's where I need to start!

bizlaw :

Yes that is where you need to start. Most policies presuppose that a professional contractor will make the repairs. If there is nothing in your policy that prevents you from doing the work, you can attempt to negotiate an agreement with the insurance company. I would suggest that you offer an independent inspector to inspect the work and verify that it was properly done.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.