Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

if i dont know the corporate name of a business but only their

if i dont know the corporate name of a business but only their DBA name, when i file a civil suit against that company can i address the caption as their DBA name and et al to cover any other name(s) they may be under.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but you immediately need to do discovery to find out their real name. What will happen is they will answer and say that that isn't their name but if you do discovery that will provide you their real name and you can then file to amend.

If you are planning on representing yourself then you need to get a book explaining discovery, not just a form, so that you can ask the appropriate questions. There's a good one at or you can look for on at a place like Amazon.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like but I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.