Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

We have been raising funds for a billboard for Sgt Bowe Bergdahl

Customer Question

We have been raising funds for a billboard for Sgt Bowe Bergdahl (http://BringBoweHomeWOD.com). Now we realize we will be taxed on the funds we raised. We would like to be 501c3 status and not 501c4 - right now we are just 2 individuals raising money. What do I need to do to become a 501c3?
Submitted: 4 years ago via RocketLawyer.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  sberanek83 replied 4 years ago.

Obtaining status as a 501(c)(3) organization can be a lengthy process. First, the organization collecting the funds needs to be incorporated, which is done through the Secretary of State in state where you want your corporation to be domiciled. Typically, people incorporate in the state where they live and for a presumptively not-for-profit entity I don't think you need to incorporate in corporation-friedly states like Delaware. The Articles of Incorporation (formation document) need to have provisions which mirror the Internal Revenue Service's prohibitions on 501(c)(3) organizations. Once the organization is incorporated you then need to apply to the IRS for tax-exempt status. At some point thereafter the IRS will advise you whether you qualify. Probably the best thing to do at the beginning is to read Publication 557 (Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization) which can be found on the IRS website. It lays out exactly what you need to do.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to know how I can make raising awareness for a Prisoner of War into a 501c3 and not a 501c4. Typically raising awareness for Prisoner of War issues falls under lobbying/influencing elected officials.
The only suggestion I can give is to broaden the purpose of the organization so that it will fall within the exempt categories contained in 501(c)(3). Since I can't give a more specific answer, I will opt out and perhaps another attorney can give you a more specific answer.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Your previous expert has opted out, but was correct. If you are using the funds for the charitable purpose of supporting the Sgt. or his family, then it becomes a charitable purpose. If you are using them to raise social awareness, then you run into the social welfare organization, which is still tax exempt under 501(c)(4). Either way, 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) your earnings for the support of your cause are not taxed.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”