AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

I am receiving threats from a former business partner that

Customer Question

I am receiving threats from a former business partner that willfully resigned (which we have in writting) to expose my past indescretions in order to obtain the business we both started together. What can i do
Category: Business Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Threatening to release embarassing information to compel someone to give up something of value constitutes the crime of extortion. A victim of extortion can report the crime to law enforcement and the state may pursue criminal charges against the individual. That said, doing so could prompt such a person to release the embarassing information, so it's generally wisest to involve one's personal attorney first, as the attorney can evaluate the danger of the information, explain the consequences of committing extortion, and hopefully persuade the other party to avoid disclosing any such information.