socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

TOPIC: LLC; Correct the “forfeited” status in Maryland. We

TOPIC: LLC; Correct the “forfeited” status in Maryland.

We own a Internet business and we were interested in changing our legal business name, for no reason other than it would give a better understanding of the type of business we operate. We are a small business, only 1 employee (myself, the business owner) Should we:
A. Change or Start new LLC
or
B. Pay the $XXX annual filing fee for each year "forfeited" (7 years).
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
Only you can decide what you "should" do. You can do either. However, if it were me, I would register a new business, because it would give me a clean start.

The only exception would be where a creditor is likely to sue the old business entity, because by leaving the business entity in a forfeited state, I may be unable to defend in court without first formally reviving the business entity.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. Your positive feedback to the website is appreciated. If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!