J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
15393114

do barbers in NY have to disinfect their shears between customers??

do barbers in NY have to disinfect their shears between customers?? I would assume that some standards are set
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 4 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

New York sanitary code states that barbers must:

J.Hazelbaker :

§10.24 Sanitation of equipment and implements
(a) Hair brushes, combs and all other implements used on a customer shall be kept clean and sanitary at all times and shall undergo thorough cleansing after serving each customer.
(b) After handling a customer affected with an eruption, or whose skin is broken out, or is inflamed, or contains pus, the instruments shall be effectively cleaned, washed with soap or a detergent and water, then rinsed with water having a temperature of at least 170 degrees Fahrenheit or allowed to remain for five minutes in alcohol (70 percent–80 percent) or some other equally efficient disinfectant.

J.Hazelbaker :

Thus, the code does not specifically required that shears be disinfected between customers (unless the barber notices that the customer has an infection of some nature), but that the shears must be thoroughly cleansed between customers so that they are clean and sanitary.

J.Hazelbaker :

Obviously, disinfecting the shears between customers will always satisfy the code requirement. Thoroughly cleansing the shears between customers is the minimum requirement.

J.Hazelbaker :

Here's a link to a NYS publication that includes all the regulations regarding barbers in the state for your convenience:

J.Hazelbaker :

http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/lawbooks/barber.pdf

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.