JerrySJD
JerrySJD, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for business formation, business sales, tax, partnerships, sole proprietors and buy/sell agreements.
62699694

I have been running a business for the last 9 years using a

I have been running a business for the last 9 years using a logo and names for my products. Are these intellectual property items protected by copyright after a certain amount of time? I do sell my product across state lines. I have not taken the steps to copyright the names but wonder if there is a "common law" copyright after this amount of time. Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JerrySJD replied 4 years ago.

JerrySJD :

The copyright attaches as soon as the work is created. To enforce the copyright, you need to register. Copyright does not apply to the logo. The names for the products may be under copyright, but if they are tantamount to a logo, then no. What you need is a trademark for the logo.

JerrySJD :

You are not going to trademark every product name.

JerrySJD :

You can do the trademark on your own through the USPTO site.

JerrySJD :

The product names might be subject to copyright, since they are a written work, but being just one word, it is hard to say. You really are looking more at a patent than a copyright there.

JerrySJD :

There is a government web site that goes through the basics with links to registration, etc. It will take me a minute to get it ...

JerrySJD :

Got it:

JerrySJD :

Thank you for using JustAnswer! Please click "Accept". If you need more, just let me know.

Customer:

Thank you! How do I save this chat? Do you know?