BartEsq
BartEsq, Researcher
Experience:  Juris Doctor

What are the NY State law codes for construction of sweat lodges,

What are the NY State law codes for construction of sweat lodges, and where would I find them.??
Category: Business Law
Expert:  BartEsq replied 2 years ago.

bart0358 :

Hello, Im researching your answer now.

bart0358 :

First, you have to worry about state law, then county, then city or town, when it comes to zoning and building codes. So, each spot you intend to build will require a seperate assesment.

bart0358 :

Do you know where you would like to build?

Customer:

I have more information. This is a camp within the Parks Dept, and code mentioned by Camps manager is NYS fire code saying that all tent or temporary structure materials should be fire retardent. Even if there is no fire involved.

Customer:

In the case of a sweat lodge, heat is bought in in the form of heated rocks, and water is applied. It is my understanding that heat applied to a fire retardant material would emit a toxic gas that would probably kill all the lodge participants, so where is the option

bart0358 :

Here you go, this will take you to all NY codes including fire and building.

Customer:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/new_york/NY_Fire/fire_frameset.htm

Chapter 24 This is the code the parks manager quoted

bart0358 :

Ok, I read it.

bart0358 :

Heat and fire retardent material does not always equal death.

bart0358 :

I was a firefighter. Nomex does dont give off killer gas when heated.

bart0358 :

Is there anything else?

Customer:

Could a wood sapling frame and canvas be fire retarded.

bart0358 :

Yeah, I guess so.

Customer:

Sort of takes away the lakota indian tradition of a natural lodge

bart0358 :

Sounds cool.

Customer:

Thanks for your help

bart0358 :

No problem.

bart0358 :

Let me know if you need anything else. Please contact me if you have any problems. You can request me directly or just put "to bart" at the beginning of your question. Please remember to click "ACCEPT" so I can get credit for my work. Bonus is not mandatory but appreciated.

Customer:

Is the nomex sprayed on a day in advance or the materials have to be soaked it in for a time

bart0358 :

I have no idea, but it doesnt catch fire...just a material used in firefighting. Im dont know much about it.

Customer:

Can't imagine particpants in a sweat lodge waering fire suits and respirators.

bart0358 :

I get stiffed alot, if you dont mind clicking accept, i wont mind continuing our chat.

BartEsq, Researcher
Experience: Juris Doctor
Expert:  BartEsq replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  BartEsq replied 2 years ago.

For answering your questions, let me know if you need anything else. Please contact me if you have any problems. You can request me directly or just put "to bart" at the beginning of your question. Please remember to click "ACCEPT" so I can get credit for my work. Bonus is not mandatory but appreciated.

Expert:  BartEsq replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. If you contact the firemarshall and explain what you are doing, Im sure they will work with you to remain as authentic as possible while maintain safety.