Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I keep receiving case action law suit postcards in the mail.

I keep receiving case action law suit postcards in the mail. What does it means to be included in the class action lawsuit? Or the settlement
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

It means that, if you're a member of the class described in the suit, and you agree to participate, you will get a portion of the proceeds of the suit if the company either agrees to settle to avoid trial, or if it goes to trial and wins. Most of these cases, the class is thousands of people, and the bulk of the settlement goes to the lawyers or the named plaintiff, but the members of the class usually end up getting some nominal amount - in a lot of the cases, you're looking at something like $5-$20. It's not a lot of money, but you are entitled to it, if you're part of the relevant class.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So when it say's I have to do nothing, does that automatically include me in the case ifmit settles.
If the postcard says, "To be included in the class, do nothing," yes, that's exactly what it means. Sometimes, you have to take action only if you want to be excluded, and they'll tell you that on the notice.