socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am trying to get a copy of the bylaws from a non profit school

I am trying to get a copy of the bylaws from a non profit school with federal and colorado 501 c 3 recognition. They have not given them to me. Do they have to at law provide a copy of these on request? Do they have to have bylaws? How do I get a copy of the bylaws if they wont give them to me when I ask?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Exempt organizations must provide a copy of their bylaws to the IRS as part of the application for tax-exempt status. To obtain a copy of the IRS application including bylaws, see this link.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept (or, click on one of the happy smiley faces/stars/etc., if applicable) for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
once i get a copy of the bylaws , from the organisation or the irs, can i email them to everyone in the non profit school, ie, the teachers, families with students there, and other intersted parties[ prospective student families]
The info is public record, so there is no confidentiality required. You can mail it to anyone who wants to receive it.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes this helping alot! also, does this apply for any information that is available to the public on the internet or from the IRS, for eg, can i send out copies of the non profit schools IRS 990 forms from the not for profit listings to the school community and teachers at this school, without threat of recourse from any hostile parties, directors ,founders at the school.IS it a suable action to send out any public record information, to people who may or may not want to read it?If i have collated and compared financial information about this not for profit and also compared salaries of top earners to other not for profits can i send out this information, because i got all the figures and stats off public information sites?
You can email whatever you want, provided it is not false, reputation injuring or in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what if the truth is reputation injuring, how can i protect myself, but still get the truth to the community? especially the non profit schhol community directly impacted by the way that there not for profit school is being run?
The truth is an absolute defense to defamation. However, there is no way to protect yourself, if the person or entity you are defaming, disagrees with your interpretation of the facts. There is always a risk associated with an attempt to inform the public about the alleged bad acts of others. There is no way to absolutely protect yourself, other than to refrain from action in the first place.

That said, if you believe that an organization is engaged in some sort of fraud, then you may want to complain to the county district attorney or state attorney general.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Retired (mostly)