Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Hi, I was asking to invest in a new business venture with

Hi, I was asking to invest in a new business venture ( restaurant) with someone, is there a particular form I can use. I really want to invest $ 5000.00 to start up the business but I'll ask a 15 %or 20 % of every profit for a certain period. so I do not want to do it verbally, I'd like to have a legal form that I can make the person sign before I issue the money.

regards,

Francklin

regards, Francklin

You have to have a written contract, since this type of agreement is not enforceable without a written agreement pursuant to the statute of frauds. You can do this in multiple ways. First, you can put this in the company operating agreement if you want to be a member/shareholder in the business. Second, you can do this as a loan agreement with repayment to be 15%-25% of the profits for your specified period of time by having them sign a promissory note.

Here is a Sample Promissory Note and in the repayment terms you would specify the percentage of the profits and the specified amount of time you will collect those profits.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there any standard form to my situatrion as oppose to chose some provisions from the promissory note sample?
No, and quite frankly these agreements are typically drafted by local attorneys based on the specific nature of each deal and you want them drafted by an attorney locally so that you can insure the note is enforceable in court in case they breach that agreement. The sample provided was just so you could get an idea what a promissory note would look like and perhaps get it started before finalizing it with a local attorney.