MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

if someone gets married and hyphenates thier last name, is it still ok (legal) to sign leg

if someone gets married and hyphenates thier last name, is it still ok (legal) to sign legal documents with thier original signature.. dropping the hyphenated married name?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Yes it is, but the person signing cannot later invalidate an agreement on the basis that he/she did not sign their full last name (hyphenated last name). Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

are you a legal attorney?

yes, I am. The point in a signature is that a person signs his/her name agreeing to be bound by the terms of the agreement. For example, if a persons legal name is XXXXX XXXXX he signs a contract by using Bill, the contract is still legally enforceable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so if XXXXX XXXXX- jones is the married name then signing legal documents written up to XXXXX XXXXX (without hyphenation) and then signing just XXXXX XXXXX is legal?

Yes, because it still identifies the same person.