MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

I have a small business in NJ listed as an LLC. I do work for

I have a small business in NJ listed as an LLC. I do work for charity organizations also. Can I apply for nonprofit?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Yes, but you would have to change your company from an LLC to an corporation, as non-profit status is not current available to LLCs in your state. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LLC Nonprofit is not available in NJ? Could I have the nonprofit with another state? My work is in Pa. and NJ.
Yes, you could establish a non profit LLC in another state, though PA does not recognize nonprofit LLCs either. In order to establish your non-profit LLC you would have to do so in a state that recognizes this entity type, but you would still have a to register in the states where the LLC actually operates as a foreign LLC, and it therefore may not be worthwhile to do a dual registration as you would not realize any tax savings from the states that do not recognize nonprofit LLCs. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.