Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

My husband has an S Corp and is a practicing chiropractor in

My husband has an S Corp and is a practicing chiropractor in Ohio. We have a family medicine provider who wants to come to work for us. Does the law prohibit an MD/DO from working for a corporation which is solely owned by a chiropractor?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

The answer is "no", a doctor CAN work for a corporation that is owned by someone else but there are a few conditions. First, the doctor cannot "profit-share" since a doctor and a non-doctor cannot own the office together directly. Second, the doctor cannot be controlled professionally by the non-doctor pertaining to diagnosis or professional and clinical opinions. Here is the direct statute from the Ohio Revised Code which explains the limitations:

1701.03 Purposes of corporation.

(A) A corporation may be formed under this chapter for any purpose or combination of purposes for which individuals lawfully may associate themselves, except that, if the Revised Code contains special provisions pertaining to the formation of any designated type of corporation other than a professional association, as defined in section 1785.01 of the Revised Code, a corporation of that type shall be formed in accordance with the special provisions.

(B) On and after July 1, 1994, a corporation may be formed under this chapter for the purpose of carrying on the practice of any profession, including, but not limited to, a corporation for the purpose of providing public accounting or certified public accounting services, a corporation for the erection, owning, and conducting of a sanitarium for receiving and caring for patients, medical and hygienic treatment of patients, and instruction of nurses in the treatment of disease and in hygiene, a corporation for the purpose of providing architectural, landscape architectural, professional engineering, or surveying services or any combination of those types of services, and a corporation for the purpose of providing a combination of the professional services, as defined in section 1785.01 of the Revised Code, of optometrists authorized under Chapter 4725. of the Revised Code, chiropractors authorized under Chapter 4734. of the Revised Code to practice chiropractic or acupuncture, psychologists authorized under Chapter 4732. of the Revised Code, registered or licensed practical nurses authorized under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code, pharmacists authorized under Chapter 4729. of the Revised Code, physical therapists authorized under sections 4755.40 to 4755.56 of the Revised Code, mechanotherapists authorized under section 4731.151 of the Revised Code, and doctors of medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or podiatric medicine and surgery authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code. This chapter does not restrict, limit, or otherwise affect the authority or responsibilities of any agency, board, commission, department, office, or other entity to license, register, and otherwise regulate the professional conduct of individuals or organizations of any kind rendering professional services, as defined in section 1785.01 of the Revised Code, in this state or to regulate the practice of any profession that is within the jurisdiction of the agency, board, commission, department, office, or other entity, notwithstanding that an individual is a director, officer, employee, or other agent of a corporation formed under this chapter and is rendering professional services or engaging in the practice of a profession through a corporation formed under this chapter or that the organization is a corporation formed under this chapter.

(C) Nothing in division (A) or (B) of this section precludes the organization of a professional association in accordance with this chapter and Chapter 1785. of the Revised Code or the formation of a limited liability company under Chapter 1705. of the Revised Code with respect to a business, as defined in section 1705.01 of the Revised Code.

(D) No corporation formed for the purpose of providing a combination of the professional services, as defined in section 1785.01 of the Revised Code, of optometrists authorized under Chapter 4725. of the Revised Code, chiropractors authorized under Chapter 4734. of the Revised Code to practice chiropractic or acupuncture, psychologists authorized under Chapter 4732. of the Revised Code, registered or licensed practical nurses authorized under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code, pharmacists authorized under Chapter 4729. of the Revised Code, physical therapists authorized under sections 4755.40 to 4755.56 of the Revised Code, mechanotherapists authorized under section 4731.151 of the Revised Code, and doctors of medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or podiatric medicine and surgery authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code shall control the professional clinical judgment exercised within accepted and prevailing standards of practice of a licensed, certificated, or otherwise legally authorized optometrist, chiropractor, chiropractor practicing acupuncture through the state chiropractic board, psychologist, nurse, pharmacist, physical therapist, mechanotherapist, or doctor of medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or podiatric medicine and surgery in rendering care, treatment, or professional advice to an individual patient.

This division does not prevent a hospital, as defined in section 3727.01 of the Revised Code, insurer, as defined in section 3999.36 of the Revised Code, or intermediary organization, as defined in section 1751.01 of the Revised Code, from entering into a contract with a corporation described in this division that includes a provision requiring utilization review, quality assurance, peer review, or other performance or quality standards. Those activities shall not be construed as controlling the professional clinical judgment of an individual practitioner listed in this division.

Effective Date: 03-22-1999; 2007 SB33 08-22-2007

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Run my own successful business/contract law practice.