Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

Im an insulation contractor and did work on an apartment complex in Corpus Christi T

Customer Question

I'm an insulation contractor and did work on an apartment complex in Corpus Christi TX. Invoice past 30 days and no one calls me I try to call the property improvement company but I get sent to voice mail 8 calls 2 weeks nothing. Looking at filing lien any guidance. We are at 33 days on original invoice have accessed 1.5% late due today invoice faxed over and called same story.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Under Article XVI, Section 37 of the Texas Constitution you are granted a right to pursue a lien (I am providing you the exact location so if you wish to look it up you know where to begin). Chapter 53 of the Texas Property Code governs how the lien can be placed on the property. This is very important since the conditions, instructions, and deadlines imposed are mandatory, and if you miss even one you lose out on your lien rights, and why at least considering obtaining counsel in this instance is a wise option.

You will need to collect information and send out proper notices, and once that is obtained, you can record a lien. Here is a great pamphlet that will permit you to file a lien directly based on their steps provided:

http://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/ForThePublic/FreeLegalInformation/ConsumerTenantRights/MechanicsLeins.pdf

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I file with county clerk office
Thank you for your follow-up.

Yes, you do. You would need to file with the county clerk's office where the property is physically located.

Good luck.