MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

Operating a business in North Carolina without a license

I have been operating a business in North Carolina without a business license for about a year now. It has barley turned any profits and was more of a hobby than a business for most of that time, however, it has recently been growing quickly in revenue and profit. I need to get a business license. So my questions are; If I get a business license, what should I tell them? What are the consequences of running a business without a license in NC? How much can a person selling stuff out of there home earn before taxes are due? I know this is allot of questions so there will be a bonus for anyone with a good answer. Thanks.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 5 years ago.
What type of business? LLC? partnership? sole proprietorship?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sole proprietorship. Just me selling goods on ebay.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh yeah and this is Greensboro, NC. if it makes a difference.
Expert:  MDLaw replied 5 years ago.
I need to get a business license. So my questions are; If I get a business license, what should I tell them? What are the consequences of running a business without a license in NC? How much can a person selling stuff out of there home earn before taxes are due? I know this is allot of questions so there will be a bonus for anyone with a good answer. Thanks.

If you are a sole proprietorship running a business from your home, you may not need a business license. Every single county in NC has different requirements and so you should call one of the NC business counselors since they are experts in license requirements. Here is the link:

http://www.blnc.gov/faq

If your business requires a license and you fail to get a license, it can result in fines and penalties and fees. Also, keep in mind that you also need to register to collect sales tax. Generally speaking, most businesses, even if they don't need an actual business license, must still pay sales tax to the state.

Taxes are due on any and all income made from the business. It is a common misconception that there is some type of minimum.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the green ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for our time, expertise, and research. We do not get paid by the website and so we rely on customers to honor the honor system and accept our responses so that we can continue to provide this service to people such as yourself. When leaving feedback, please also remember that we experts do not make the laws. We only report what the laws are and so please do not shoot the messenger.