Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

My husband is the sole propietor of an S - Corp in Louisiana.

My husband is the sole propietor of an S - Corp in Louisiana. Upon examining the tax returns more closely for the past two years, he discovered that the information supplied to the tax preparer is extremely eroneous. For example, one says he has 75k + is undeposited funds. I wish!!! Can either the tax preparer or our previous employee be held responsible. The returns were filed online.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
If they were filed intentionally providing the false information and they can show you had knowledge of the filings and it was a joint return, you would be equally liable to repay any money. However, you and your husband can get out from under this by getting the tax preparer to file an amended return for those years. The tax preparer can be liable only if he intentionally falsified the return.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”