Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Dear Sir or Madam, Im thinking about lending my sister some

Dear Sir or Madam, I’m thinking about lending my sister some money and help organize her brand new magazine business that she is going to start real soon. But I have one problem, I owe a lot of taxes to the government and I would like for my name to be on the LLC application article of organization. I've talked with the people at Secretary of the State of North Carolina, they said the article has nothing to do with ownership, they said it’s mainly how the entity is registered. But they also said if my name is XXXXX XXXXX the registration, it will be registered as such. Could this mean that anything the business makes or loose it’s on me as well and can the government come after her business because I owe taxes, because I’m on the LLC as a member or organizer? Should she just hire me as an employee and in that way she my not have to worry about my personal tax situation. I would really like to be apart of her business, but not as an owner, for tax purpose. I’m paying back tax now and I’m on a payment plan. Should I go on the LLC article of organization, or should she just make me an employee?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
The government cannot come after her for personal income taxes you owe, BUT they could seize your share of any profits from the LLC in which you are a member. Thus, if you are listed as a 50% owner, they can seize your share of any proceeds from the LLC up to 50% of the LLC profits. If she hires you as an employee or even independent contractor, the government can issue a garnishment order, meaning she would have to pay any money she owes you for your work to the government up to 25% of your income after taxes. Also, if you have a loan agreement, the IRS can seize any payments due to you on that loan to satisfy your tax debt.

Overall, having them garnish up to 25% of your pay from being an employee is paying them less than them seizing up to your full share of proceeds from the LLC.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think I got that part, except for the details of percentages, but my main question, although it don't say I'm the owner on any part of the LLC article application ( cause it states members or organizer). Am i still considered an owner, even though I'm on the LLC article application as an organizer?

Someone can incorporate an entity and not be considered an owner. Thus, just because you are listed as an organizer, does not legally translate into you being an actual member of the LLC and this would be stated in the articles of organization and the annual report listing officers and members.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry Mr Paul, but I think you miss my whole concern.

If i'm listed as the organizer on the LLC , would that leave it open for the tax man to come after the company because i'm on the article LLC as organizer, and I owe back taxes and I'm on a payment plan....... COULD I PUT MY SISTER COMPANY IN JEPARDY, BECAUSE I'M ON THE ARTICLE AS ORGANIZER?

I apologize for perhaps not getting the whole situation here. No, it would not leave it open for the IRS to come after your sister or her company merely because you are an organizer, you would have to be a member of the LLC and as such the only jeopardy to the LLC would be the IRS could seek only YOUR SHARE of the proceeds in the LLC, not your sister's or not the whole LLC.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay i think we are getting somewhere here! Okay as it states on this form, The name & address of each person executing these articles of organization is as follows: ( State whether each person is excuting these articles of organization in the capacity of a MEMBER, ORGANIZER or both. Would I be safe as an Organizer, and my sister would still hire me as an employee, am I just leaving it open for the Tax man to come after my personal Tax and not the company business or could they still come after the company because my name is XXXXX XXXXX LLC as organizer. If this is answered, then there is know other question to be ask.

Thank you Mr Paul

You can be just an organizer without being a member having an ownership interest in the LLC. Thus, you would be safe and the LLC would be safe with you only as an organizer of the LLC because that does not give you ownership interest for them to seize.