MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

I really hope you can help me. I have a problem I dont think

Customer Question

I really hope you can help me. I have a problem I dont think I can fix on my own at this point. I was the President of a company that I sold. I had a Business American Express Card that got behind on payments. I did not personally guarantee this card but American Express has reported it on my credit report and now all my credit card accounts are getting closed. My score has dropped 150 points. The collection company that Amex is using acted like they were part of Amex hardship program and got some payments from us. Come to find out they were the collection agency for Amex. Can you help or advise, please.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Have you obtained a copy of your contract with Amex?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have requested it but they don't have one signed by me they say.
I have requested proof from Amex and the Collection company. All they keeps sending is paperwork saying we owe it.
ok, have you issued disputes with the credit reporting agencies?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, and I have requested Equifax to show proof that there is a contract. They sent me a previous bill with the company name and my name and said this is the proof they were given by Amex. So, there is nothing signed at all and now they are screwing up my credit.
Thank you, have you filed a complaint against the reporting agencies with the FTC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I have not.
ok, this is the next step in the process of disputing the reports on your credit report. To properly submit your complaint to the FTC, you should draft a complaint letter, attaching to it your prior requests for a copy of the contract and dispute letters submitted. You would then contact the reporting agencies to advise that you have submitted a complaint to the FTC regarding the inaccurate reporting, and would also send a copy to the collection agency as well. In your letter to the collection agency, you would advise that you have suffered as a result of the inaccurate reporting and should they not amend the credit report filed, you will have no choice but to name the collection agency in a civil action seeking compensatory damages.

For your reference, here is a link to the FTC complaint page:https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en
Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
Please remember to click Accept if I have answered your questions, and please let me know if you have any follow up questions.