BartEsq
BartEsq, Researcher
Experience:  Juris Doctor
64232130

Is it lawful to sell raffle tickets online in the State of

Is it lawful to sell raffle tickets online in the State of Wisconsin? We are a 501(c)(3) church with a Class A & Class B raffle license in the State of Wisconsin.

bart0358 :

Hello, Im researching your answer now.

bart0358 :

Here is a copy of the Wisconsin statute addressing raffles.

bart0358 :

563.90 Qualified organizations.

Any local religious, charitable, service, fraternal, or veterans organization or any organization to which contributions are deductible for federal income tax purposes or state income or franchise tax purposes, which has been in existence for one year immediately preceding its application for a license or which is chartered by a state or national organization which has been in existence for at least 3 years, may conduct a raffle upon receiving a license for the raffle event from the commission. No other person may conduct a raffle in the state.

bart0358 :

It looks like you need a license form the Raffle Event Commision.

bart0358 :

Here is a link to WI Deot of Administration dealing with gaming and raffles.

bart0358 :

Please contact me if you have any problems. You can request me directly or just put "to bart" at the beginning of your question. Please remember to click "ACCEPT" so I can get credit for my work. Bonus is not mandatory but appreciated. Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer:

Like I mentioned in my question, we already have both a Class A & Class B raffle license in the State of Wisconsin. My question is whether it is legal to sell raffle tickets online in the State of Wisconsin. As I understand it, there is no definitive Federal ruling on this issue, each State makes their own determination.

bart0358 :

Well, if you only sell to WI residents, I think you will be ok. If you sell beyond your borders, each individual state's law will apply.

bart0358 :

If you chose to proceed with a statewide sale, definately use a disclaimer for WI residents only.

Customer:

I suppose I should contact the gaming office and get clarification on this from them directly?

bart0358 :

If you are already licensed, you are good to go in WI.

bart0358 :

Its when you start selling to out of state residence you will have issues.

Customer:

I believe that I am able to cross borders of adjacent states as long as it is considered part of my "local area".

bart0358 :

Negative. Im not saying you cant, but if you do, that states laws will apply.

Customer:

Thanks for your help.