Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Are non-compete clauses legal in California? Does it matter

Are non-compete clauses legal in California? Does it matter that will be an independent contractor?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney here to assist you.

Non-compete clauses are illegal under California Business and Professional Code § 16600: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=16001-17000&file=16600-16607

It makes no difference whether an employee or independent contractor is involved - these contracts are not legal in California.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I sign an IC agreement with a non-compete in it is that part invalid then? Should I insist that they take it out or does it not matter? Thank you.
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the non-compete agreeent would be invalid under California law. Even if the provision is in the agreement, it is void as a matter of law. I would recommend that you ask that it be taken out due to the content of Section 16600.

However, if they refuse, it really makes no difference as long as you're working in California.

It is likely that the employer doesn't know that non-competes are illegal in California - it is the only state in the country (I think) that prohibits the use of non-compete agreements in employment/business contracts.