Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA

I have been keeping my sons dog at my residence, since he

I have been keeping my son's dog at my residence, since he does not honor his obligation of buyin food, and alking the dog etc. I would like to take the dog to where he lives and leave it there. what are the consequences? The licence is in his name
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

What son has done by leaving his property (dog) there is create a "voluntary bailment" with you being the bailee. A voluntary bailment is when one party, the bailor, leaves personal property in the possession of the bailee with permission or consent. The bailor can return and take possession of the property at any time before the bailee terminates the bailment and the property is considered abandoned. A bailee can terminate a voluntary bailment by giving notice to the bailor that they need to come get the property or it will be considered abandoned and disposed of.

In order to legally terminate the bailment, you have to give written notice to the bailor at their last known address (which would be where son lives). I would send it certified mail as well as first class mail. State that you are terminating the bailment and the bailor has 2 days to come get the dog or you will consider it abandoned and dispose of it. On day 3 if it is still there, you can get rid of the dog as abandoned

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing.