Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

My sister and I are attempting to make something of our hobbies.

My sister and I are attempting to make something of our hobbies. We are planning on setting up a new checking account to put profits in and purchase materials as well; instead of our own pockets. Should we use a DBA now and see if this takes flight? Or should we start off dreaming big and create an LLP? Thanks!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good morning. This depends upon how much potential liability your hobbies might create for you. If the hobby has the possibility of creating potential liability beyond the known costs of materials, then you would want to set up a limited liability entity now....I would recommend an that your personal assets are not at risk for any of the business' liabilities or lawsuits. If not, go ahead and operate as sole proprietorships or as a general partnership to avoid the upfront costs and file an Assumed Name Certificate for the name(s) being used.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.