Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA

If provided authorization can a limited partner sign a binding

Customer Question

If provided authorization can a limited partner sign a binding contract on behalf of a limited partnership.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

Business dealings with a limited partnership must be with the general partners, and commitments must be authorized by the general partner or partners in accordance with authority given them by the limited partnership agreement.

So if the limited partnership agreement states that the general can delegate authority to one of the limited partners to enter into agreements on behalf of the LP, then they could do so. If not, then no.

The primary statutory guidelines for limited partnerships are found in the Uniform Limited Partnership Act ("ULPA") or the Revised Uniform Limited Partnership Act ("RULPA") which was first revised in 1976 and again amended in 1985. Almost all states (48 states plus the District of Columbia, as of 1998) have enacted the RULPA.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you direct me to a link on the internet for minutes I can use for this?
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid I don't understand your last question. If you could clarify it, I will attempt to assist.