Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

Can I be sued in small claims court for services that are contiuing

Customer Question

Can I be sued in small claims court for services that are contiuing to be rendered?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
Can you provide a few more facts on the services and why they want to sure you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well to be honest, the biggest reason is because the person is Friends with my former spouse (who is also the one that is paying on the contract).

Hence, services are contiuing to be rendered, this person just wants to insert themesleves into this dispute etween me and my former spouse again. this time they are not physically attacking me as they did before, this time they area attacking me with the ourt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Just need an answer quickly, he asked for more information which I provided
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
That really doesn't explain the nature of the services or what he would be suing you for. I can't answer it until I understand what is happening.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh ok, its group tennis lessons

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
Theoretically you could be sued while services are continuing. For example, if the person had paid you in advance for 4 tennis lessons a month but for the last few months you had canceled and as a result only given two tennis lessons a month then that would be a breach the other side could sue over even though he was continuing to take the remainder of the lessons. That is just one example of how it could happen and I'm sure there are others.

However, the burden is on them to prove that they are justified in suing while the services are continuing.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.