Michael, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Business Lawyer

Whats the legalities of having other businesses logos on my

What's the legalities of having other businesses logos on my website to show that they are clients? Do we need their permission? or any special legal wordings that they are trademarks of respective owners etc?

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a business law attorney with experience in all aspects of business law. I'll do my best to assist you.

You are right to be very careful about using the trademarked logos of other companies. There are only a few circumstances in which is would be permitted:

1. Expressly authorized
2. Comparing products or services
3. Describing the product or service of the mark holder
4. Previous employment, awards from the mark holder or compatibility with the mark holder's products or services
5. Criticism, satire/parodies

If you are using a trademarked logo without express permission indicating a past client, you are at great risk of trademark rights infringement, in that it can indicate a false endorsement. You may be able to limit your liability by clearly disclaiming any endorsement, and stating that the noted parties are simply descriptions of past clients, without implying any connection or support.

If at all possible you should have client consent to using their mark in your promotional material at some point in your agreements with them. You should have your site reviewed by an attorney dealing in trademark law prior to publishing your site.

You can find some good additional information here:

I hope this answer has been helpful. I'd be happy to further clarify my response and follow up with any other questions. If you're satisfied with my answer, remember to hit the "accept" button. Bonuses and positive feedback are always appreciated! -Michael